Map Design and Typography

 



Legibility – I tried using a Time New Roman approach with the text to explore a different font and have more formality.

Figure-Ground Orientation – For this map, one map feature I worked on having a good figure-ground orientation is the buffer zone for the preservation of goshawk nest using a dashed dot to circle it to showcase the buffer zone of the species preservation. I could better re-organize the legend so the protected area and the buffer feature would be first in the list.

Hierarchal Orientation – I choose a landscape style to present the data better. I also decided against using an insert map by adding additional information on the location of Tongass National Park.

Hierarchal Organization – To emphasize my major map elements, I weighed which parts of the map would I want my readers to focus on. The main focus in the areas where the Goshawk nest and habitat need preservation. Then to address the business proposal of which area would they take lumber I highlighted the areas discussed in the meeting to visualize their sections. I made this map on the perception that in a proposal meeting they want a visualization of the area for the proposal. Adding additional information of when and how much revenue the area could benefit for the lumber company would be better in a different version of this map with a statistic table as supporting info.

Balance – I incorporated the principle of balance in the map by using a border to help me align map elements. I tried a new way of having the legend with an information box included to categorize info related to describing the map and the map’s purpose. I didn’t keep it in the borders of my map frame to take up more of the white space that my citation and source info covered a small portion but I attempted to fill the rest. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fundamentals in Python

Module 5: Choropleth and Proportional Mapping

Module 3: Cartographic Design